May 5, 2010

Update on trashy poster at school

After I 'blogged about what I saw at my local elementary school -- the trashy People magazine cover blown up larger than life and posted on a bulletin board easily viewed by children -- I debated about whether and how to let the school district know my dismay.

I finally decided to back up my concern with words of encouragement to remove the poster, so I contacted the district superintendent's office to let them know my thoughts.

The message was forwarded to the principal of the school in question who promptly and very courteously e-mailed to THANK me for bringing the poster to her attention. Apparently, neither she nor any parent whose child attends the school noticed it, despite its location next to the main entrance.

No matter. The principal let me know the poster had been removed and that she was issuing revised guidelines for the posting of any material on school grounds.

Little victories. I take 'em where I can get 'em.

As for the principal? I only wish every single public ed. administrator in this country was as diligent and interested in parental feedback as she seems to be.

No comments: