May 15, 2010

The horse, the wheat and the catapult

A fellow homeschooler and I like to talk about what we'd do if we had a boatload of money and unlimited time on our hands.

She'd buy land out in the country so her daughter could have a horse.

Her husband, who used to be a wheat farmer, wants to be a farmer again and grow some more grain.

Me, I'd like a big space in which to construct a trebuchet (that's fancy for "catapult").

My friend says she'd let me build my trebuchet on her land and she and her husband would even help me do it. Now, that's a real friend!

She says she'd wall off her property and turn it into a homeschooling commune. When I remind her that the FBI would probably start looking at that whole scene in a new way (think Branch Davidians or the FLDS), she laughs and reminds me that we'd post the trebuchet at the gate so as to lob watermelons, hay bales, and even deceased livestock over the wall to make intruders go away.

I muse that the FBI wouldn't take too kindly to being nailed by a dead cow or a half-rotten watermelon.

I do love the thought of lobbing things far and wide, though. Wonder what an old Buick would look like flying through the air? Or a pile of scrap metal? Or an old boat?

The possibilities are endless.

At the end of the day, though, it's really about telling the world to shut up and go away. The poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson said it best: "The world is too much with us, late and soon, getting and spending, we lay waste our powers."

No comments: