May 28, 2010

As Memorial day approaches . . .

We went to Hobby Lobby this afternoon where I bought up every single small flag-on-a-stick they had. My kids and I are going to decorate our front yard (we live on a high-visibility corner) with the flags in advance of Memorial Day. My girls have been involved in several projects to support U.S. troops in the Middle East this past year and we've had many conversations about the soldiers, why they went there, why they are still there, and what we can do to help them until they come home.

As Memorial Day approaches, I want to list for the record all the veterans in my family so that their names will live on in that unique perpetuity known as the internet long after I'm gone.

These are my family's soldiers:

Dillon Blevins, British citizen turned patriot, American Revolutionary War

Armstead Blevins, War of 1812

Hugh Blevins, War of 1812

William, John and Hugh Blevins, Jr. -- Confederate States of America, Civil War

Benjamin, Charles, and John H. Stephens -- Confederate States of America, Civil War

Thomas Hamby -- Confederate States of America, Civil War

Elijah Wells -- Confederate States of America, Civil War

Leonard Hamby, World War I

Clifford Evans, World War II

Lloyd Evans, World War II

Howard Evans, World War II

Dallas Evans, Korean Conflict

Sylvia Evans Davidson

Wells Hamby, Jr. -- served honorably in the U.S. Navy

Byron Evans

Christopher Hamby -- actively serving

Randy Evans -- actively serving

Julian Jones

Emily Farrar -- actively serving



Even with its myriad problems and the failure of its leaders to heed the sage advice of the Founding Fathers, America is still the greatest country in the world. It is still the shining city on a hill and I'm not ashamed to say it or teach it to my children.

Put out your flags, dear readers, before heading to the beach, the barbecue, or the beer hall. Men and women -- thousands upon thousands of them -- risked their lives or lost them in the name of everything our nation holds dear and we would do well to remember them on Monday.

No comments: