May 19, 2010

Using murder to teach math

Just when I thought the presentation of math in public schools couldn't get any more convoluted (see previous 'blog post on "hairy" math), reality hits me upside the head.

Seems that a high school geometry teacher in Alabama was under investigation recently for using a hypothetical presidential assassination to teach about angles.

Like there aren't a gazillion other ways to illustrate angles?

The teacher was interviewed by the Secret Service, found to not be a threat, and remains in the classroom.

Even though he's not a threat to President Obama, I think he's a threat to his students.

After all, his choice of examples was in extremely poor taste and demonstrates a lack of common sense.

Not exactly the kind of person I'd want teaching my children anything.

No comments: