February 26, 2010

Reason #11568 why we homeschool

Now, before I begin my rant let me agree up front with any detractors that what's happening at the school in Indiana is not indicative of what's happening at every other public school across America.

My rant is based not on the specifics of what is happening but on the mentality of the adults who sit in positions of authority and power over children and their families.

I charge that similar mentalities -- that we know better than you how to teach and raise your children -- may be found in just about any other public school nationwide and it is for this reason parents would do well to consider alternatives to the free government schools.

And now for my rant:

Fox News reports tonight that a middle school in Elwood, IN is raising funds for its drama club using a special matchmaking website. After filling out a survey, students in grades 6 through 10 can pay money to be matched with a compatible mate.

Sort of like the Dating Game for adolescents.

The problem, as I see it, is twofold. (And we're not even to the part where the superintendent of the school district weighs in.)

First, that any public school in a nation that spends more per pupil and gets less in academic returns as measured by standardized tests would still need to raise funds begs the question, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH ALL THE LOCAL, STATE AND FEDERAL MONIES YOU ALREADY RECEIVE?"

Second, that a fundraiser with the potential to promote underage dating or sex would be considered suitable for a school is evidence the so-called professional educators in this case have lost their ever-lovin' minds and should be stripped of their so-called professional teaching credentials.

Oh, and did I mention that parents were NOT informed of the school's plan to raise funds by encouraging little Jimmy to hook up with little Sue? Or that the project could result in someone's sixth-grade daughter, for example, being matched up with someone else's tenth-grade son?

I know I'd want my 11 year old daughter sidling up to a 16 or 17 year old boy to flirt and possibly set up a date.

Not.

And now for the zinger, the coup de grace, the reason government schools cannot and should not be trusted with the minds and hearts of our children. Dear readers, I bring you the Elwood, IN Community Schools Superintendent Thomas Austin:

"I approved this fundraiser on February 1st, and I knew about the content of the survey, and it's just a good way for kids to have a little fun,” said Austin. “It’s a voluntary survey.”

I guess making it voluntary somehow relieves the school or the school district of any responsibility -- as if kids as young as 11 are already capable of making smart choices when it comes to raging hormones and members of the opposite sex.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and gather all the instances of overt stupidity that pass for public education projects, programs and initiatives and compile them into one big book for all to read.

I'd keep a copy with me to give to the next person who asked me, upon finding out I homeschool my kids, "Oh, don't you worry about all they're missing out on, not being in school with the other kids?"

After I finished choking back a laugh and restraining myself from listing all the instances in which my children spend lots of quality time with other children, I'd hand them my "Unbelievably Freakin' Big Fat Book of Reasons We Homeschool."

Later, I'd want to know exactly which of the sad, sorry experiences documented in my hefty tome would be the ones no child should miss.

No comments: