February 2, 2010

Rahm Emanuel is the one who's retarded

Ah, another shining example from President Obama's cadre of chuckleheads.

Rahm Emanuel, a D.C. insider who first worked for Bill Clinton and was somehow deemed so fabulous that he got called back for another go 'round as Obama's chief of staff has stuck his big fat foot in his only slightly smaller mouth.

Turns out that Emanuel, known for his liberal use of profanity, is apparently not shy about throwing around the word "retarded," as in "mentally retarded." Some plan proposed to him last week garnered his disdainful reply, "That's f***ing retarded."

Word got out, the GOP's Sarah Palin -- whose son has Down Syndrome -- got wind of it, and Emanuel managed to cough up an apology to. . .? The president of the Special Olympics organization.

Nice.

Where is the apology to the entire American population, to the many families who struggle in relative silence, often cash-strapped or prey to crappy social services to raise, educate, and provide lifelong care for their loved ones who, for whatever reason, have a developmental disability or delay?

I don't have a child with mental retardation (an archaic descriptor, by the way, that many would like to phase out), nor does anyone in my family. I do have friends, though, who have personal experience with this most challenging of situations, and on their behalf Mr. Emanuel embarrasses me.

Like so many of the clowns-posing-as-confidantes to the president, Rahm Emanuel is an idiot. He's crude, stupid, unkind, and apologetic only because he got found out.

Until the word "retarded" leaves our common vocabulary, I reserve the right to use it -- not in reference to the many beautiful, kind, innocent children who are born with developmental delays, but in reference to moronic politicians like Mr. Emanuel whose common sense is, apparently, not only uncommon but absent altogether.

Hey, Rahm. You, sir, are f***ing retarded.

2 comments:

sej said...

Marjorie -- First let me say I really enjoy your blog. I look forward to a new RSS feed in my Outlook box. However, I felt led to comment this time. When it comes to the word retarded, I agree it should not be used in conjunction with a person's mental ability, but I do think we need to remember that the word has another meaning. Retarded means underdeveloped -- not fully developed. You can have retarded growth (for instance of a plant or many other things) that has nothing to do with mental capability. It can just mean not fully developed or even fully thought through. Being a non-political person (however I do admit to being a Clinton fan and do not apologize for it) I am not familiar with the person referenced. Though the word retarded may not be the best choice because of the possible connotation of those reading it, and the word before it unnecessary, we can't always assume that the derogatory meaning of intellect was intended. (I won't be offended if you moderate me out -- I just felt led to make that comment)

maewest said...

Hi, thanks for taking time to read the 'blog! I don't write so everyone will agree with me. I write because I think and need an outlet for my thoughts, and I hope my readers are also thinkers who are willing to disagree if they are so led. It's all good! You are absolutely right that Mr. Emanuel used a word that has more than one meaning. If he'd used it in a different context it likely wouldn't have registered on anyone's radar, i.e. "this plan could retard the growth of the nation's economy." The problem is that the word -- like "niggardly" which, in its original usage had absolutely nothing to do with people of African American heritage -- is just too politically and culturally loaded to be thrown around as a reference to someone's mental capacity or the degree to which they have/have not thought through something. Rahm Emanuel is our president's Chief of Staff, not exactly a low-profile position. He made the comment in response to a plan put forth by some in his party to buy advertising critical of fellow Democrats. Obviously, he thought this was a bad idea. Look, I detest political correctness as much as the next person -- it hampers honest and plain conversation. But I also realize the power of words, and some words are just hurtful. In Mr. Emanuel's case, the comment in question was flat out unnecessary to make his point. I don't think he oughta be fired, but I do hope this experience causes him to think before speaking and that he will consider extending his apology to the people likely to be most offended -- families with loved ones afflicted with mental retardation. Love you!!!!!! Hope you'll keep reading!!!!!!!!!