December 31, 2008

"Magic Negro" song

When I heard about radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh's songwriter and his latest work, "Magic Negro" about president-elect Barack Obama, I couldn't do much more than shake my head. It took me awhile to figure out the headache that followed was from me clinching my jaw in angst.

How is it possible that we can come so far only to fall so fast?

Upfront: I didn't vote for Mr. Obama because I don't like his historical stance on issues involving education, abortion, and his 20 years spent listening to the radical rants of Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

But he is going to be our president and I do have respect for that position. I am also interested to see what Obama, a member of my generation, is going to bring to the table. I do not want him to fail, that would be suicide for the whole country, so I am joining the mass of those who supported him all along in wishing him well these next four years.

With that said, I just cannot fathom the idiocy of the aforementioned song.

Our new president's job is going to be tough enough without the sophomoric sour grapes of Mr. Limbaugh's friend. That guy needs to shut up already, and give Obama a chance to prove himself.

1 comment:

SingingBear said...

The song first appeared in the spring of 2007 and is actually a parody of Al Sharpton & the Democrat party, using a phrase coined by David Ehrenstein in his LA Times opinion piece "Barack the 'Magic Negro'".

It's curious and amusing to me that there was no outrage when Ehrenstein's piece initially ran in March 2007, nor when Joe Biden said of Obama, "...the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean..." Or when the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in Atlanta says the election of Obama would not affect racism in America because he doesn't have slave blood.

This brouhaha is about the mainstream media and the Democrat party promoting the myth that racism only exists on the right side of the aisle, when in fact racism in the 2008 Presidential campaign was perpetuated by the Democrats.

I whole-heartedly want President-elect Obama to succeed. I want him to succeed for America's sake, for the sake of her liberty, prosperity, safety & security, and the exceptionalism that is this most successful form of government ever conceived by mankind.