January 25, 2010

I want my freedom from the Freedom From Religion Foundation

The folks at Freedom From Religion Foundation drive me nuts. It's as if they just sit around thinking up things to bitch about.

Their latest tirade is against the U.S. Postal Service for daring to honor MOTHER TERESA (yeah, THAT Mother Teresa) on a postage stamp this year.

Seems as though the FFRF thinks she was too religious, too sectarian, too -- I don't know -- godly to be put on a stamp, so they're threatening the USPS with a letter writing campaign aimed at stopping the stamp from being issued.

Among the many qualities of the woman who is arguably the greatest representative of charitable deeds this century that the FFRF doesn't like -- she was Catholic and she spoke out against abortion.

Full disclosure: I am not a Catholic, nor have I ever been, nor is anyone in my family. I am, however, smart enough to give thoughtful consideration to all that Mother Teresa did, the many people she helped, and the incredibly difficult and depressing conditions in which she lived and worked, and to realize that she is one of the greatest role models children of any/no denomination could ever have.

The fact that she did all that in the name of God and Jesus Christ shouldn't, for one instant, nullify or de-legitimize its value.

The FFRF is about as stupid a group of folks as I have ever known, and I pray none of them ever need a helping hand. If they do, odds are that hand will be extended to them by a member of the community of faith they so readily malign.

If you want to see Mother Teresa on a postage stamp, go online with USPS and tell them so. Don't let the ignorance of athiests be the only voice the postal service hears.