September 3, 2008

Sarah Palin

I like Sarah Palin.

Okay, I don't like the fact that she's a hunter -- because I happen to think hunting is largely barbaric and pointless unless you live where it makes sense to shoot your meal -- but I do like the fact that she seems plainspoken and determined to practice what she preaches.

And I like the fact that she's only a wee bit older than I am. This means one of two things: Either I am much older than I am wont to admit because, after all, aren't grownups the only ones old enough to govern states and run countries, or else I'm proud to see someone of my generation take such a big step to such critical acclaim.

I like Sarah because she's a mother just like me, of more than one or two children just like me. I like her for loving her children unconditionally regardless of their mistakes (pregnant 17 year-old unmarried daughter) or their challenges (infant son with Down Syndrome.)

I like her because she seems like a real and likeable person, the sort of woman I might enjoy having as a neighbor or member of my church.

That's what's missing in government, you know. Real people with real stories.

I may not be a big fan of John McCain, but his VP choice will likely get my vote.

No comments: