September 23, 2008

Big guy, even bigger song

Unless you regularly tune in to your local contemporary Christian music radio station, it's likely you've never heard of Chris Sligh.

The singer from South Carolina is surprisingly average looking, a really big guy with wild curly hair reminisicent of the comedic singer Weird Al Yankovic. But it's not Chris Sligh's looks that nail you to your chair, it's his incredible voice and the haunting and poignant Top Ten single, "Empty Me."

I've been a radio junkie my whole life and I've wittingly or unwittingly absorbed into memory a library of lyrics from pretty much all genres. Where lyrics were absent, I filed away entire guitar riffs (think Eddie Van Halen's stunning solo on "Eruption"), piano concerto measures, and all manner of background instrumental bits (bluegrass guitarist Doc Watson and his son Merle rock the room with their dueling strings on the instrumental "Sheep in the Meadow.")

The first time I heard Sligh's "Empty Me," I nearly drove off the road I was listening so hard, not wanting to miss a single word.

When I got home I googled him and learned he was a contestant on American Idol's Season 6. I've never watched that show so that factoid didn't move me. Then I learned that "Empty Me" hit the big time long before our local CC radio station played it and I discovered it for myself. That just made me feel out of touch.

So what finally convinced me Sligh and his song were worth a second look?

Chubby dude sings like an angel. The ironic combination intrigued, to be sure, but in the end it's the words. Read a snippet and see if you don't agree Sligh is on to something. Better yet, visit YouTube and hear him sing it live.

Empty me of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition and the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my hearts holds to,
Lord, empty me of me so I can be filled with You.

The song is a prayer of the best kind -- humble, fervent, asking God to give nothing other than the capacity to understand Him more.

The Bible says that the more we come to know of God the less the things of the world will matter. In an age where financial debauchery is taking its toll on even the most affluent, people struggle to rebuild lives swept out to sea by a hurricane, and world leaders jockey for power and prestige even as their people go without, Chris Sligh's inspired and plaintive request is the voice of one crying in the wilderness.

As I go about my everyday tasks, I find myself replaying Sligh's petition to God.

His song has become my prayer.

2 comments:

René said...

I will have to check him out. Listen to KSBJ all the time but he doesn't ring a bell.
RS

Allison Bellomy said...

hey there! hope the move went well. e-mail me your new address when you get a chance!