April 26, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things

It's nearly midnight and once again my brain won't shut down. Too much caffeine I suppose. I'm a tea drinker, all kinds, all temperatures and it has caught up with me again.

Some things I heartily recommend to anyone who asks (and even those who don't):

Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soaps -- Peppermint, Lavender, Unscented Super Mild for Babies

POM bottled tea with lychee and green tea in pomegranate juice

The facsimile of Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of the English Language. It rocks because of its definitions. The word "omnipresent" is defined as being technically attributable only to God. It says that, no kidding.

Scrapbooking -- it's a hobby, it's a passion, it's an outlet for creativity in persons not otherwise deemed creative (like me).

Tempera paint -- it smells like kindergarten, when life was one big FUN.

Real maple syrup vs. Mrs. Butterworth's or somesuch. More expensive but much tastier.

Hanna Andersson clothes for kids. Buy 'em new or used, either way they hold their shape, their color and are well worth the extra you pay. I nearly tussled with a lady in a resale shop over some used Hanna shirts for one of my daughters. I won when she realized the size was wrong for her child. :o)

Toys that don't make noise. What's the point? Kids make enough of their own w/out adding battery-powered cacophony to the mix.

Books that don't sing or talk. You know, the old-fashioned kind that make no sound other than the sshhing as the page turns.

The poem "Prayer Against Indifference" by Joy Davidman. She was married to C.S. Lewis and this poem is the kick in the pants we all need from time to time. I'll post it in its entirety soon.

Books by Leo Lionni -- they're for children but similar to the Pooh stories by A.E. Milne I swear they contain life lessons for grownups if adults would bother to read them. My favorite is "Frederick" about a mouse who plans ahead for a hard winter by storing up more than just nuts and straw.

No comments: