January 29, 2011

A letter came from far away . . .

Awhile back, my family decided to participate in a project called Any Soldier that connects civilians directly with U.S. military personnel stationed overseas. The idea is to make sure that soldiers who may not get much (or any) mail from home get mail from those who appreciate their sacrifices.

Some of the soldiers have special requests. Others just like to get cards or letters.

Out of more than 1,000 soldiers who are signed up to be liaisons between their units and civilian supporters, we picked a name at random and read what the soldier and his men wanted most.

Coffee. Lots of coffee.
Snacks.
A dartboard set.

The girls and I went to the sporting goods store and picked out a dartboard set. We all went to Walmart and bought lots of snacks and my mom bought lots of coffee, creamer, sugar packets, and tea.

We packed five boxes in all and sent them off with the hope they'd arrive in Afghanistan intact. My girls both made several cards to include with the food and coffee, the idea being that there would be a card for every soldier in the chosen unit.

Today, my younger daughter got a letter in the mail postmarked Afghanistan. She said it was more exciting than getting a letter from someone famous, like the president.

(I'd explained to the kids that folks in the middle of a war might not have time to write back, so to get a letter at all is huge.)

The soldier who wrote to her is from North Carolina and he has a son her age. The tone of the letter is like that of any father to a child. It's poignant in its simplicity, paternal, kind, and not a little bit wistful.

He tells my daughter about the things his little boy likes to do and says if his son and my daughter could meet they'd probably get along real well.

He drew a smiley face near his signature.

As my daughter read the letter aloud to her own father, I couldn't help but note the irony -- a child of eight reading to her father about a child of eight whose father is far away in such a dangerous and unforgiving place. Both fathers are obviously proud of their children, but only one of them is able to show it in person.

Christians are taught how we were bought for a terrible price when Christ went to the cross. As Americans, we are also bought every time one of our men or women in uniform goes to the mat in the name of our country.

I want my children to understand -- and I do well to be reminded myself -- that behind every single one of those soldiers there's a story, a family, and a sacrifice either temporary or tragically permanent.

Somewhere in North Carolina tonight, a young boy who loves to read and play video games is going to bed without his dad to tuck him in.

The small, quiet sacrifices are often the greatest, and we are humbled by the price Major S. Williams' family has paid.

2 comments:

EPB Pest Control - Darren said...

I really like this, I served in the British Army for 6 years and it was always sad to see fellow soldiers that did not get much mail or at times of leave seeing those that would just be staying in barracks because they had no where else to go was also sad.
In England a couple of newspapers really hit off the idea of people writing to servicemen and women over seas and I think it is great. It really does boost morale just by getting a letter and for a few minutes letting your mind drift off to back home where ever in the world that may be, regardless of the uniform or language spoken, I think all soldiers do a fantastic job, and I would just like to say I think that the general view in England is that the U.S do really praise their forces and show them the respect they deserve, this is starting to happen more now in the U.K . I left the forces in 2007 and it will stay with me forever, and the great people I met.

My new career is challenging but not half as dangerous!

http://www.epbcontrol.co.uk

maewest said...

Wow, I don't know how you found my 'blog and the post but I'm sure glad you did. Thanks so much for your kind words and the insights from "across the pond." Thank you, too, for YOUR service in your country's army. All of you who take your time to defend others are worthy of more gratitude than words can express.