June 2, 2010

The offense of a "no-shoes" house

It's been brought to my attention that a longstanding rule in our home -- that of wearing no shoes past the immediate front or back door area -- is offensive or rude or inconvenient or whatever descriptor you want to apply.

I have three things to say about this:

First, if it's really a huge, insurmountable problem for a guest to remove their shoes then they need to say so. We can accommodate within reason.

Second, if a guest just doesn't like the insinuation that his or her shoes are nasty on the bottoms then they are welcome to not visit. Ever. Because the bottoms of their shoes ARE nasty and I don't care to have that tracked all through my home and over my expensive and expensive-to-clean oriental rugs.

Third, the EPA issued a study a few years back proving that households in which shoes are not worn have up to 60% less LEAD residue than those in which shoes are worn. Let's see, now. I've got four young children who, along with their friends play and roll about on my floors repeatedly on any given day. Guests' self-esteem (with shoes) vs. children's health and safety (no shoes) -- you decide.

No, wait. I'll decide for you.

We love to have friends come over and are blessed that so many do so often. We are also blessed with friends who value our company and fellowship enough that taking off their shoes inside the front door is no big deal.

If you want to track through your house the following substances, then feel free to do so. But, please, leave them out of mine:

Feces (think public restrooms)
Urine (think public restrooms)
Animal feces and urine
Pesticides (no, we don't use these in our yard so our kids aren't tracking them in on bare feet)
Oil
Gasoline
Pool chemicals
Spit
Dead animal residue (think roach guts or similar yuck)
Snot (ever seen someone inhale their own nasal mucus and then spit it out?Yeah, real nice)

I get the occasional patch of sand or the crumpled dead leaf. I also get pine straw. It's all good. Organic, compostable, easily vacuumed.

But pesticides and crap ground in to my wool rugs will be there until I scrape up $350 or more to have them cleaned. Meanwhile, my children will track this junk room to room and into their beds or mine.

Thanks, but no.

If, after reading this, someone is STILL offended by our no-shoes policy, please let me know and I'll be happy to take you off future guest lists until you agree to take off your shoes upon entering my home.

We'll miss you, but we won't miss the disgusting stuff you'd otherwise be tracking in.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have to agree with you. We leave our shoes by the back door, also. When our kids visit their friends' houses, they are in the habit of kicking off their shoes at the door, even if it's not required! Only our bedrooms are carpeted (which I hate and would like to replace) but you're right - they gather so much junk it's gross to think about what is on the bottom of shoes. Surprising that a guest in your home would be offended by that. Maybe they didn't like the way their feet looked. :o)

Matthew Celestine said...

Some people really like to make a fuss.

Thankfully, most people I know don't mind removing their shoes.

I have an whole blog on this subject:Shoes Off at the Door, Please You might like to take a look.

maewest said...

Wow, Celestial Fundy, you're my first UK reader -- at least the first to acknowledge his or her presence as opposed to lurking. I'll be interested to read your thoughts on shoeless homes. Thanks for checking in and reading my 'blog.