March 5, 2010

More delightful school news . . .

After I went off on the Detroit public school system for allowing a nice but wholly uneducated man to run their district, I came across a couple other nuggets I hope doubting parents will read.

First, from the great state of New Hampshire we have a 41-year-old high school English teacher brought up on felony charges after sending nude photos of herself to a 15-year-old student.

She's old enough to be his mother and certainly old enough to know better.

And out of Grand Rapids, MI (what is it about schools in Michigan, anyway?) comes a story sure to cast doubt on the common sense quotient of some educators.

Little Mason Jammer was suspended from kindergarten recently for pointing his hand like a gun at a fellow student.

Let me repeat. The kid is a BOY. He is SIX. He used his HAND AND INDEX FINGER LIKE A GUN.

Exactly what about this doesn't add up?

If that's grounds for suspension, I'm really glad my boys aren't in the government schools. They'd get nailed so often for the same offense (esp. my two-year-old) they'd be home with me anyway. Might as well save the district the trouble of paperwork and just homeschool 'em to start with, right?

(No, we have no toy guns and never have. My boys made their weapons of choice from their own hands, some scrap PVC pipe, sticks or other found objects. Where did they learn it? From their little homeschooled friends -- also cute little boys who behave like, well, boys.)

Judging from reader comments about Mason's plight, I'd say I'm in pretty good company.

There's near unanimous agreement that political correctness is too far reaching and that common sense has officially left the school building.

Teach your own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: