May 7, 2008

Are homeschoolers superior?

No, but many of us do think we've found the equivalent of gold in the Yukon by taking it upon ourselves to teach our own children. If no one had set a precedent, we might be rightly charged with folly. But the list of self-directed learners is impressive enough to make us think it's worth a shot.

Do we sit in judgement of our non-homeschooling friends?

I may be guilty of this, only because I remember so well my own torturous public school experience and am now embued with the knowledge that it doesn't have to be that way for so many other children.

When I hear of some child floundering about, struggling to read or write, struggling to avoid bullies or other social minefields, struggling to find a voice amidst the twenty other kids in the class, I am tempted to champion homeschooling as a plausible cure.

I seldom do, though, because most folks are comfortable with the status quo. It's the old "Public school was good enough for me, it's good enough for him," argument and I usually have too many other things to do to try to untangle this bad logic.

So I let it go and hope that whatever the child's problem is, it gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I do admit to being more puzzled by avowed Christians who send their children into secular government schools. Sort of like sending lambs to the slaughter, in my opinion. Are most young children strong enough in their faith to fend off the nonsense that passes for education in many cases but is really a veiled attack on their very religion?

I think government, i.e. public, schools undermine Christian parents, whether they intentionally do so or not. Sex, evolution, marriage, morals, values -- for Christians all these subjects are bound up in biblical teaching. And the Bible isn't exactly front and center in traditional schools.

1 comment:

SingingBear said...

"If we continue to send our children to Ceasar for their education, we need to stop being surprised when they come home as Romans." ~Voddie Baucham, Spring Texas pastor & author of Family Driven Faith